Monday, February 18, 2008

the american dream

It was the best Valentine's Day ever! I loved spending it with my clients and my housemates and friends. We decorated the dining room and gave out candy and I was so much happier to be at work than at the fancy nonprofit launch.

I think I've touched on this in earlier posts, but I can't understand why some people think that the idea of the "American dream" is real and attainable for everyone. Of course there are remarkable stories about people working their way up from nothing- but they are remarkable and talked about because they're so rare. It's the type of opinion I think can only be held by someone who is naive to the fact that they were born into privilege.

Paul Krugman wrote a great Op-Ed about it today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/opinion/18krugman.html?_r=1&hp

No comments: